Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tuesday Tutorial: Altered Frame

Hello everyone!

Jenny here to show you all how to make a cute little altered picture frame using the Basic Grey PB & J collection from the June 2012 kit.

I L.O.V.E. this collection because it can basically go with any kind of pictures. I used the majority of this part of the kit to make a couple of Disney themed pages, but I used the leftovers to create this altered picture frame.


I placed the frame with a couple of vases from IKEA that I already had, as well as a decorative ball that I already had..and voila! Instant home decor setting! This is now sitting on my fireplace mantle.

You want to know the best part???? It only cost me $1!!!! Here's what I did:

  1. I bought the plain wooden frame at JoAnn craft store in the $1 section.
  2. I painted the outside edges and the inside edges of my frame with white paint just to make it look more "finished."
  3. I used Mod Podge to cover the frame with the chevron patterned paper from the Basic Grey collection. (I used Mod Podge to glue the paper down onto the frame, and I also put a layer of Mod Podge on top of the paper to secure it.)
  4. I already had some yellow/gold felt on hand, so I used it to create the flower. You can find a great tutorial on how to make a flower like that here. I then hot glued a button to the middle of the flower and then hot glued the flower to the frame.
  5. I went to this blog and downloaded the FREE "Keep Calm" prints. They come in lots of colors (how cool is that?!), but I printed out the one in "sky" color.
  6. I placed the print into the frame, and it was complete! :)


My mind is already swimming with gift ideas and more home decor items! There are SO many great free printables out there...just Google what you're looking for, or search for free printables on Pinterest, and you will find tons. Using up kit leftovers to create these little inexpensive items is perfect for the budget, AND it helps you use up those leftover pieces that we all can't seem to part with. ;) I can't wait to make up some more of these for gifts!

2 comments:

  1. That's cool. :) And that flower tutorial is the bomb!!!!! Thanks for pointing me toward that. *happy happy*

    ReplyDelete