Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Re-Examining Your Creative Process: Making the Most of Your Patterned Paper


The photograph of this layout was very difficult to take.  The photographs were developed onto a glossy film and it took a gazillion tries before getting an image without glare. The final result was a photograph taken of the layout in a darker area.  As a result, the colors aren't precisely true to form as I brightened it up the best that I could.  The Pink Paislee Memorandum paper has a deeper light color than it appears here.

Although I like the layout a lot, it doesn't exactly use the same design principles as Brenda Carpenter's.  I ended up lifting her layout this time more than reading through her notes first.  But I will address that more later.  In her sample, your eyes are drawn right to the center because of the patterned paper that she used.  Let's look at what she had to say, shall we:

2. Make the Middle Work for You. Another way to use large patterned paper is to cut it up and use it in the middle of your layout.  Have the design work for you by taking shapes and colors from the papers for your accents. Here I used the circle and star elements for the title block and embellishments.

3. Use Patterned Paper for Your Title.  You can stamp on patterned paper and cut out the letters.  You can also use a die cut tool to create a title with the paper, (see "superstar" card - {which I, Janine, cannot find-so I cannot show it to you}) This is a great way to use up extra scraps of paper and bring another color to the design.

Note the use of the small strip of solid paper to break up the two patterned papers. This principle was first discussed in last week's lesson. Below, (actually above here), is another example of that principle.
------

I would like to address what I did differently and how I believe it impacted the impression on the viewer.  As you look at Brenda's layout, try to notice where your eyes begin and how they move on the page.  Then, do the same with mine.
Here's what happens to me on Brenda's page.  My eye is immediately drawn to the center with the busy patterned paper. I glance at it quickly and move to the title and then the matted photograph to the right, where my eyes linger.  I, then, find myself looking up to the picture at the top.  At the end, my eyes are most drawn to the matted photograph, the highlight of the page.

On my page, all of my eye movements go in the same direction, (counter clockwise), but they start at the matted photograph. I end in the same spot.

Both pages use two visual triangles. (Brenda talked about visual triangles last week.)  Brenda's includes the two pictures and the journal box as one, three stars close together in the center as the second.  My page includes the three photographs as one, and the three black embellishments as the other.  In Brenda's, I find that the focus is left more into the center with a more micro or local approach.  On my layout, I find the focus expanding out to the farther reaches of the page due mostly to the placement of the embellishments.

You can see some great similarities to both of the layouts.  Both layouts bring most of your attention to the matted photograph.  The bold and bright colors surrounding them add to the eye being drawn to these larger photographs. This is, generally, the main feature on each page.  Everything else on either page supports the main feature.  Also, as I mentioned, in both layouts your eyes move in the same direction.

However, there are differences related to the papers, colors and embellishments on each page.  On Brenda's page the bright colors, busy pattern, color play and photograph in motion all have the presence of a lively page.  You imagine her toddler in constant motion and growing bigger with her use of fonts and his poses.  On my "Back to School" page, the boys are posed and subdued.  The added "yay" almost feels sarcastic.  :)  The black letters further add to the lack of festivity of the occasion.  The stars and dots, however, cheer up, (a little), the much more quiet page.

I hope that you are enjoying these series.  I welcome your comments and added observations.  Next week, I will add one more lesson to this series using Pink Paislee Citrus Bliss.  Hope to see you then!

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to add the instructions on this one. Does anybody want them?

    ReplyDelete